Thursday, January 30, 2014

Unexpectedly Wonderful

I have a subscription to SELF magazine, courtesy of the Detroit Marathon.  This month’s issue (Feburary 2014) has an unexpectedly wonderful interview with Cameron Diaz, who recently published The Body Book, her perspective on the science of the body and her experiences in learning how to take care of herself.  The whole interview is pretty great.  I especially liked the following tidbits.

* When asked about being famous for half her life, Diaz said, “This is how I look at my life.  I’m one of the most blessed human beings on the face of the planet, and gratitude is the only attitude as far as I’m concerned.”

* “I definitely advice befriending a vegetarian.  Seriously, some vegetarians have developed a real knack for turning garden-fresh produce into delectable, satisfying, I’d-have-thirds-if-I-wasn’t-already-so-full kind of meals.”

* And at the end of the day, she looks at herself in the mirror, and “It’s not like ‘You’re great!’  It’s like, ‘How did I do today?’  If I did my best, it’s OK to say, ‘I fucking did it!’  But if I didn’t, it’s sometimes like ‘Fuck!’  You can do better!’”

(I didn’t blank out the expletives like the magazine did.  Sometimes editors are silly.)

Doesn’t she seem like the kind of person you’d want to be your neighbor and your friend?  She seems so ordinary, so grounded.  I love that.  And I’m totally content to believe in the sense of authenticity that the interview conveys.

Happy Thursday, friends!

No comments: