Monday, January 5, 2015

2014: The Year in Photographs (Part One)

Believe it or not, one of my biggest regrets of 2013 is that I didn’t do a “Year in Photographs” post.  I loved doing it for 2012, despite the sadness that permeated that year for me.  Curating these posts is a bit time-consuming, but it’s oh so satisfying to have these memories to look back upon and enjoy.

Without further ado, here is January-June of 2014, one photograph per month (plus narration from me, of course).

Loving the Tree

* January: In January, Paul and were lucky enough to visit Louisiana with our dear friends Amber and Jeremy.  We had an amazing time!  I think back on that trip and feel so very fortunate to have shared that time with some of my favorite people in one of the best cities in the world.  In the photograph above, that’s Amber and Paul loving one of the trees in City Park.

Fun fact: we were in NOLA for several days and drank zero alcohol.  That’s got to be some sort of tourist record!

Patio Sitting

* February: From what I remember, February was pretty quiet.  I was settling into a new job, meeting new students for tutoring, and getting ready for a March half-marathon.  Here’s a photo of Lucy, being her adorable self.  Sharing my life with this kitty has been such a joy, every day.

Pretty Colors

*March: In March, I flew to Michigan for my sister’s bridal shower.  March was a tough month for me: I was really anxious about money and the future, and I was grappling with the realization that despite my general dislike of change, I needed permission to change.  I needed permission from myself to change.

But I like this photo: it’s the kitchen window that looks out into backyard at my brother’s house, and the art is homemade, of course.  I like to think of it as a reminder that we can always open our eyes and enjoy the beauty of the place, the moment, wherever we may be.

(Also, it was a freezing cold winter, even in Texas!  You can see the snow on the ground in that photo.)

At Lake Bryan Together

* April: In April, I bounced back from my March gloom.  April was busy in all the best ways!  In this photo, Paul and I were at Lake Bryan with friends, out on a hike, when I asked someone to take our photograph.  I have surprisingly few photos of the two of us (though our friend Jeremy aims to fix that—thank goodness for that man and his beautiful art).  In this one, I especially like the way our arms and hands are entwined.  It feels like a metaphor for the way our lives have become woven around one another.  I feel very grateful for the life we are building together.  Paul is a wonderful person, and our partnership is the foundation of everything I do.

Good-Looking Bridal Party

* May: In May, my sister Theresa got married!  Here’s a photo of the bridal party on the night of the rehearsal dinner.  Everybody looks so pretty in their party dresses!  Being part of Theresa’s wedding was really special to me.  One of the most fun things was getting to know each of the other bridesmaids.  We are all so different from each other, and yet Theresa’s personality is reflected in each friendship.  It was so neat to see that.

Shallow Stream in Lost Maples

* June: Wow, June was a big month for us.  We signed a lease on a new place in Austin!  Immediately after we did that, Paul and I went camping in Lost Maples, our favorite Texas campground and the site of this photo.  It’s outrageously pretty there—it’s my idea of heaven, with its waterfalls, canyons, trees, and hiking trails.  I just love it so much.

Stay tuned for Part Two, July through December…

No comments: